How to make Money in the Stock Market.This blog looks at how you can make money trading and investing in Forex, Stocks Options and Futures.

Google

Friday 21 March 2008

Should I buy Coffee or Starbucks ?

Having just got back from a work trip I was sitting in the airports(as seems to be happening more and more often) with my Cafe Latte and Double chocolate chip muffin-which had cost about £5 ($10) and reflected on how busy it was with not a spare seat to be found. being a regular coffee drinker, I started to wonder on the best way to invest in my favourite beverage.I have traded futures before and coffee can be one of the most volatile with violent weather related swings-it is definitely not for the faint hearted. So over the next couple of days I am going to look at the outlook for Starbucks and also at ways that you can invest in coffee without having to get involved in the highly leveraged and often manipulated futures markets.

We will see that Starbucks is not necessarily correlated with the price of Coffee, as with all commodities versus shares that are related to or have an interest in commodities there are many things that come in to play that can impact a share like management costs etc that do not affect the prices of a commodity which are driven mainly by the fundamentals of supply and demand, this makes them easier to predict over the medium term.

In my next post I will look at Starbucks and in the post after that the Coffee ETF.

 

Best Wishes

 

 

Alan